Subject: Re: [PATCH] Allow git-mergetool to handle paths with a leading space

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:19:33 -0500

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 01:09:45AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Rogan Dawes <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> I did not however apply your patch to my tree tonight, as Ted as
> the original and the primary author of the script may have
> better ideas, and/or future directions for the patch.  He can
> simply just Ack your patch if he chooses to.

Acked-by: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>

> In the longer term, I'd probably suggest redoing the entire
> command in a NUL safe scripting language (or even C, especially
> if pressed by mingw or msys folks) to eliminate the issue
> altogether, though.  But that would definitely be a post 1.5.4
> item.

Yeah, we eventually need to redo "git mergetool" in C.  One of the
reasons for that is at the moment it can't take advantage of the
rename detection machinery, so in the case where there is a merge
conflict involving a file that has been renamed in one of the two
branches, "git mergetool" doesn't do the right thing.

Even if it would be possible to expose the rename machinery in a form
that would be convenient for a shell script, it's past time to rewrite
it in C, I think....

						- Ted