Subject: Re: CRLF problems with Git on Win32

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:29:57 -0500

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:40:56PM +0100, Steffen Prohaska wrote:
> Eventually I gave in and even voted for "Git does not modify
> content unless explicitly requested otherwise".
> 
> Here's the full discussion:
> 
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=21
> 
> I believe the main question is which type of projects we would like
> to support by our default.  For real cross-platform projects that will
> be checked out on Windows and Unix we should choose
> "core.autocrlf true" as our default.  But if our default are native
> Windows projects that will never be checked out on Unix, then we
> should not set core.autocrlf by default.

If the policy really depends on the project, then surely the default
behavior should be determined by information carried in the project
itself (e.g., the .gitattributes)?

For that reason it strikes me as a mistake to ignore the crlf attribute
by default (assuming that is indeed the current behavior; apologies for
not checking).  If crlf is set then I think it should be assumed that
crlf conversion should be done unless that has been explicitly turned
off somehow.

--b.