Subject: Re: CRLF problems with Git on Win32

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:46:30 +0100

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 11:56:00 +0100, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> Thomas Neumann:
> 
> > as a user, I expect a SCM to only modify a file when I have
> > explicitly asked it to do so.
> 
> As a user, I exepect things to just work. With RCS/CVS/Subversion, it
> does, because it differentiates between text files (internally encoding
> NLs with "LF", but I couldn't care less what it uses there) and binary
> files (which it doesn't change). With git it currently doesn't since it
> treats everything as binary files.

With subversion you must explicitely enable it to "just" work. Subversion
auto-tags files with specified extensions, when they are added, with
svn:eol property specifying how the file should be converted and than
converts (everywhere) the files to specified line endings. However, AFAIK, it
does not convert anything unless the properties are set and the default
config has the automatic setting *commented out*.

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>