Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] git-svn format-patch

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:15:30 +0100

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 13:04:23 -0600, Chris Ortman wrote:
> Myself and many others have excellent luck with the cygwin version.
> But the reasoning behind wanting this isn't so much for the developer
> that is creating the patch as it is for the person receiving it. Most
> of the projects I work on use tortoise to apply the patches and don't
> typically have patch.exe

Note, that tortoise might actually use the version numbers, so bonus points
for actually finding them (where applicable -- if the patch is not based on
subversion revision, you can't get them).

> If something like this was to be accepted and become part of standard
> git is there a requirement that it be written in perl or is some other
> scripting language fine?

Git currently uses C, shell, perl and tcl/tk. There would probably be some
resistance to adding more dependencies, but that would not apply to the
contrib directory (so useful things written in something else are likely to
end up there).

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>