Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-gui/Makefile - Don't convert gg_libdir on Cygwin

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:40:12 -0500

Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]> wrote:
> gg_libdir was converted to an absolute Windows path as a remnant of
> logic to check for relative / absolute location of libraries, but that
> does not work on Cygwin. Converting gg_libdir to a Windows path has the
> nasty side-effect that it cannot be prefixed with $DESTDIR, and this
> precludes installing to a staging directory. So, don't convert it.

Hmmph.  That bites.

>  ifeq ($(uname_O),Cygwin)
>  	GITGUI_SCRIPT := `cygpath --windows --absolute "$(GITGUI_SCRIPT)"`
> -	gg_libdir := $(shell cygpath --windows --absolute "$(gg_libdir)")
>  else

The reason I'm doing the UNIX->Windows conversion here is I run
git-gui on a pure Win32 Tcl/Tk build, one that is a lot more recent
than the version that ships as a Cygwin package.  The pure Win32
Tcl/Tk cannot read UNIX paths, so I cannot allow libdir to be a
UNIX path in that case.

Now earlier we used to use relative paths on Windows to find the
libdir at runtime, but we don't do that anymore either, and I'm
not really sure why.  In theory it should still work to make it
relative when possible, and then my installation with the more
native Tcl/Tk would work just fine.

I guess I'm willing to apply your patch and carry the reverse of your
patch as a local-only hack for my needs, but I wonder if anyone else
is also using git-gui on Cygwin with a pure Win32 Tcl/Tk build...

-- 
Shawn.