Subject: Re: Be more careful about updating refs

From: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:56:35 +0000

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:15:58AM +0000, Charles Bailey wrote:
> 
> c3b0dec509fe136c5417422f31898b5a4e2d5e02 is first bad commit
> 
> I just thought I should warn you that this seems (git bisect tells me
> so) to have caused a failure in t9301-fast-export.sh on my Mac OS X
> 10.4.11 machine although I haven't yet had the time to investigate
> why.
> 

Further to this, the first problem is that the 'fast-export |
fast-import' test is failing.

As far as I can tell, fast-export is behaving no differently, the
generated export file looks identical in shape.  It seems that
fast-import is creating a bad temporary packfile for itself.

The error that I'm getting is:

fatal: unknown object type 0 in
.git/objects/pack/pack-6be2b92c2d7485fd5cefbb0d9a68827e4c23d548.pack
fast-import: dumping crash report to .git/fast_import_crash_12317

which seems to come from the unpack_entry function in sha1_file.c.

I haven't got much deeper into how the refs.c change has caused the
issue, or why on earth it seems to be a Mac only issue.