Subject: Re: [BUG] git send-email brakes patches with very long lines

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:32:52 -0500

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:26:48PM +0100, Adam Piatyszek wrote:

> RFC2822 (Internet Message Format) states:
>
>   2.1.1. Line Length Limits
>
>     There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
>     characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
>     998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
>     the CRLF.
> [...]
>
> Now, the question is. Don't you think that "git send-email" should at  
> least warn users that they are trying to send emails with patches that  
> will be broken at the end?

It could actually QP-encode the data in that case, I think. git-mailinfo
appears to have code to handle the decoding.

-Peff