Subject: Re: [STGIT PATCH] replace "git repo-config" usage by "git config"

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:49:18 +0100

On Thu, 17 January 2008, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>
> Now I'm back from holiday and I'll start merging patches.
> Thanks for the fixes. 
> 
> On 16/01/2008, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Strange that StGIT didn't abstracted out reading git config, like
> > Git.pm and gitweb.perl did.
> 
> The initial implementation was to use Python to parse the config file
> but it was dropped in favour of the git-config tool. It might be a bit
> slower but, at least, we don't need to follow any future syntax
> changes.

Errr... this is not what I meant. What I meant here is why StGit doesn't
have a thin wrapper around "git config", so instead of all those calls
to "Run('git', 'config', '--get', name)" use "git_config(name)" etc.,
similarly to Git.pm and gitweb.perl (which also use git-config to parse
the config file; only git-cvsimport parses config file in Perl IIRC).

This way if you want to load the whole config file at once (like gitweb
now does, using "git config -z -l") you would have to make changes only
in one place.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland