Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Do not show "diff --git" metainfo with --no-prefix

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:36:36 +0100

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:56:14 -0500, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > [...]
> > So maybe a --standard-diff option that removes the "--git" part, but also 
> > removes everything else.
> 
> That seems wise to me. We should be able to generate patches that are 
> accessible to programs that can't follow any clever instructions. I think 
> the point of the "Index:" header is that these programs will freak out if 
> two filenames don't match (or, more likely, break in some way), and it 
> means you can't sensibly generate patches that upset them for deletes or 
> creates.

Funny, Subversion has support for explicit renames in core. So I would have
thought it can represent them in it's diffs. Might be worth checking what it
generates for copies and deletes (rename being a copy+delete in SVN) before
creating the converter from git to subversion diffs.

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>