Subject: Re: Using email between 2 developers to keep git repositories in sync

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:59:02 -0500

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 11:52:40PM +0100, Annard Brouwer wrote:
> Thank you all for your suggestions! The problem is that each of us having a 
> local server accessible to the other is not possible. Therefore I will 
> follow the path of sending patches by email and on releases we can 
> synchronise using bundles. I think that's the best fit for our model of 
> developing code semi-independently.

Is your project an open source one, or one where you don't mind the
source code being made public?  If so, another easier solution would
be to use a git hosting service, such as what is available at
http://repo.or.cz.

I'd also suggest synchronizing with bundles much more frequently than
at release points.  The problem with sending patches back and forth is
it's very easy to make a mistake, and also, as far as git is
concerned, each patch is a separate changeset applied in two places.
So it makes merging more challenging for git.  It can probably handle
it, but makes life harder for everyone concerned.  So if you can use a
site like repo.or.cz, I'd highly recommend it.

						- Ted