Subject: Re: git on MacOSX and files with decomposed utf-8 file names

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:33:25 -0500

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 04:38:37PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> One thing I'd like somebody to check: what _does_ happen with OS X and NFS 
> (OS X as a client, not server)? In particular:
> 
>  - Is it suddenly sane and case-sensitive?

Using a Linux server, and a OS X client, over NFS, it is in
case-sensitive.  This is not unexpected, since you can mount UFS
partitions on Mac OS X, or reformat HFS+ filesystems and make them be
case-sensitive.

>  - Does the NFS client do any unicode conversion?

Nope:

# perl -CO -e 'print pack("U",0x00C4)."\n"'  | xargs touch
# ls -l | cat -v
total 0
0 -rw-r--r--   1 nobody  nobody  0 Jan 22 20:30 M-CM-^D

It's pretty clear the Unicode conversion is being done in HFS+, not in
the VFS layer of Mac OS X.

So presumably if and when Mac OS adopts ZFS, they will be able to be
free of this mess, at least if they care about being compatible with
Solaris.

						- Ted