Subject: Re: I'm a total push-over..

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:56:37 -0500

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:28:27PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Both issues (and the config variable issue Linus raised) are easily
> > helped with: store not only the hashmap in the extension, but also an
> > identifier for the hash method used.
> 
> For a reasonably implemented hash algorithm, computing the hash should
> be cheaper than reading it from disk.
> 
> So storing precomputed hashes is not worth the trouble.

Yes, but if on Mac OS systems when the git repository is stored on an
HFS+ system, the hash algorithm gets changed to one which forces
Unicode strings which HFS+ happens to "normalize" into the same hash
bucket pre- and post- normalization, it might not be cheap any
more....

       	  	      	    	   	     - Ted