Subject: Re: [RFC] Authenticate push via PGP signature, not SSH

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:57:43 -0500

Sam Vilain <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> > But in a smaller business type setting, where there's under 100
> > employees working, odds are you've already created the user account
> > on systems, and physically passed the initial password via a sticky
> > note after checking the person's government issued IDs.  In such a
> > setting having yet another authentication system (PGP keys) is just
> > yet more work for the already over worked/under appreciated IT staff.
> 
> Agreed - again I'd personally consider allowing receive-pack with
> reflogs in those environments if setting up PGP or SSH keys was a hassle.

Yea, I already have reflogs enabled for all stored branches on the
central server.  And since some branches have a no-delete policy
(based upon the rules offered by contrib/hooks/update-paranoid) the
reflogs are also effectively no-delete, even if the branch rewinds.

I also never run `git reflog expire`.  I might in another year or
so consider it, but most of my no-delete branches also don't rewind
very often (if ever) so there's very little disk to be gained by
reflog expiry.

-- 
Shawn.