Subject: Re: warning: no common commits - slow pull

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:55:01 -0500

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:49:11PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I am aware of that "push" side thing (basically it does not do
> the negotiation and unless you are always doing fast-forward
> pushes it tends to send needless stuff), but I had an impression
> that the issue Len is raising is different.  Namely if you pull
> from Linus twice into the same tree you should never see that
> "No common commits".

Yeah, when I saw your response to him I realized that.  I didn't
notice the "No common commits" message in his transcript, and assumed
he was referring to the problem I was describing.

I wouldn't mind waiting myself, but it does result in uneeded objects
in the destination repository, which I gather results in slightly more
disk load on the kernel.org servers since there's slightly less object
sharing, and sometimes I'm pushing from behind a slow link (such as an
EVDO wireless modem), and pushing the few megabytes worth of shared
objects can take a while.  So I've just always gotten in the habit of
shelling into master.kernel.org and manually doing the git-update-ref;
one of these days I'll get around to scripting it.

						- Ted