Subject: Re: [PATCH] RFC: git lazy clone proof-of-concept

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:11:53 +0100

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Jakub Narebski wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Sean napisał:
>>> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:22:09 -0500 (EST)
>>> Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Finding out what those huge objects are, and if they actually need to be 
>>>> there, would be a good thing to do to reduce any repository size.

>> IIRC Dana How tried also to deal with repository with large binary
>> files in repo, although in that case those had shallow history. IIRC
>> the proposed solution was to pack all such large objects undeltified
>> into separate "large-objects" kept pack.
> 
> That was to solve a completely different problem which wasn't about 
> space saving, but rather to save on 'git push' latency.

Sorry, my mistake.

Although in Dana case separating large blobs into non-packed loose
objects (her patches), or separate kept non-delta large blobs only
pack (proposed solution), were shared over networked filesystem.
So the amortized size of repository was smaller... ;-ppp

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git