Subject: Re: [PATCH] RFC: git lazy clone proof-of-concept

From: [email-masked] (Brian Downing)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:51:29 -0600

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:38:24PM +0000, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Heh.  I was too lazy to look up the usage, so I just did what I thought 
> would make sense...
> 
> So here it goes:
> 
> $ git verify-pack -v 
> objects/pack/pack-e4dc6da0a10888ec4345490575efc587b7523b45.pack | 
> ~/git/contrib/stats/packinfo.pl | tee packinfo.txt
>       all sizes: count 601473 total 2855826280 min 0 max 62173032 mean 
> 4748.05 median 232 std_dev 221254.37
>  all path sizes: count 601473 total 2855826280 min 0 max 62173032 mean 
> 4748.05 median 232 std_dev 221254.37
>      tree sizes: count 601473 total 2855826280 min 0 max 62173032 mean 
> 4748.05 median 232 std_dev 221254.37
> tree path sizes: count 601473 total 2855826280 min 0 max 62173032 mean 
> 4748.05 median 232 std_dev 221254.37
>          depths: count 2477715 total 70336238 min 0 max 250 mean 28.39 
> median 4 std_dev 55.49
> 
> Something in my gut tells me that those four repetitive lines are not 
> meant to look like they do...

Do you by chance have repack.usedeltabaseoffset turned on?  That has the
unfortunate side effect of changing the output of verify-pack -v to be
almost useless for my packinfo script (specifically, it no longer
reports the parent SHA1 hash for deltas, and the script is basically all
about deltra tree statistics.)  I suppose that should probably be fixed,
but I never looked into it.

-bcd