Subject: Re: msgmft segfaulting on tiger

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 01:58:36 -0500

Martin Langhoff <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Today I've debugged a compile of git 1.5.4.2 failing on OSX Tiger (on
> >  Basilio's machine). The problem is during the git-gui build, in the PO
> >  file handling. Apparently fmtmsg (from fink) segfaults on de.po so the
> >  fix is to say
> 
> Grumble. It seems like msgfmt that fink provides actually does not
> support the --tcl flag. So perhaps the right thing is to always say
> NO_MSGFMT on OSX?

I'd hate to do this.  GNU msgfmt does better checking on the
messages then po2msg.sh does, and its a tiny bit faster.  So
I'd rather stick to the standard tool that is widely used.

Currently we are looking to see if msgfmt generates an exit status
of 127, and if so we fallback to po2msg.sh.  Apparently however
that test is passing and thus you are using the fink msgfmt.

Did you try building with `make V=1` to look at the full output and
not the prettied up simplified output the Makefile uses by default?
It won't fix your issue but it may be interesting to see if msgfmt
is failing with a particular message or not.

-- 
Shawn.