Subject: Re: warning: no common commits - slow pull

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 03:50:38 -0500

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Daniel Barkalow <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > > 
> > > I think we can teach the upload-pack side to be more helpful and
> > > with a protocol extension to send tag objects that are pointing
> > > at commits that will be included in the result, or something
> > > like that, though.  But that is outside the scope of 1.5.5; it
> > > would be a moderate to large protocol surgery, and I suspect it
> > > might even have to affect pack-objects.
> > 
> > Using a single connection, either by just telling the remote that you want 
> > to autofollow tags, and it should therefore include any tags that point to 
> > any objects it includes,
> 
> I agree its outside of 1.5.5, as we'd all like to see 1.5.5 happen
> soon, but it could be 1.5.6 material, especially if someone starts
> working on it sooner rather than later.
> 
> Its actually probably not that difficult to implement.

OK, so I posted a fairly short series tonight (4 patches) that
handles some of the common cases in a fairly small amount of
code churn.  It might just be 1.5.5-ish.

Doing anything better is going to require a new protocol extension,
which is already 1.5.6 material.  In the mean time maybe Junio's
earlier patch to try and drop the ref_map when we do open the new
connection is the way to deal with the round-robin DNS issues.

-- 
Shawn.