Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: add a setting to control the tabstop width

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 23:33:28 +0100

Charles Bailey <[email-masked]> writes:

> Not everyone uses the same tab width. gitweb learns a new setting to
> control the tabstop width. The configuration can be set globally and
> on a per project basis. The default is 8, preserving existing
> behaviour. The configuration variable name is borrowed from the vim
> setting with the same behaviour.

Good idea. Very nice change.
 
> Signed-off-by: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
> ---
> 
> The untabify function seems the sensible place to make the change. As
> untabify is called once per line from various different locations it
> also makes sense to cache the result of the config lookup in a package
> variable, though this makes the change slightly less neat.

Since b201927 (gitweb: Read repo config using 'git config -z -l')
repository config is cached in %config hash (per repository), so
I don't think global / package variable $tabstop_width is really
needed...
 
> This change should have a minimal impact on performance but it would
> appreciate some more eyes and ideally some performance testing on
> heavier systems than my own. 

...but it would be better if you have checked at least on your system
if it does affect performance or not.

[...]

+our $tabstop_width;

I think I would write "our $tabstop_width = 8;" here.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git