Subject: Re: warning: no common commits - slow pull

From: David Brownell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:25:07 -0800

On Saturday 08 March 2008, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, David Brownell wrote:
> > Oddly, a few times when I tried that the bug didn't reproduce.
> > One factor may be workspaces cloned a long time ago with early
> > versions of GIT (or cogito).
> 
> Is it a few times on different workspaces, or with copies of the same 
> workspace?

I had several workspaces that weren't updated ... which by previous
experience should *all* have done an extra update.  I did the pull
with the GIT_DEBUG on a few of them, and the bogus one didn't happen.

This seemed odd to me so the next time I tried without the GIT_DEBUG
thing ... and got the bogus pull with "no common commits".  This was
unfortunately *after* I deleted tarballs of the previous workspaces,
so that exact experiment can't be reproduced.  Those were, however,
"newer" workspaces -- probably created last summer, rather than
a few years ago.

> I think that there's a dependance on how your current state and  
> the new state happen to line up.

The workspace in the tarball I can send you doesn't have any issues
with reproducibility ... now.  

- Dave