Subject: Re: [PATCH] merge-recursive: handle file mode changes

From: Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:28:48 +0100

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 09:01:06AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Clemens Buchacher <[email-masked]> writes:
> >> Reading the rest of the function, I notice that it consistently favor "a"
> >> over "b", when a conflict cannot be reconciled.
> >
> > Indeed. I think "b" should be favored over "a", however.
> 
> Why?

>>From the commit message to the latest version of my patch:
http://marc.info/?l=git&m=120548648727308&w=2

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:21:05AM +0100, Clemens Buchacher wrote:
> If the file mode or link changed in only one branch, keep the changed
> version. If the file mode or link changed differently in both branches,
> report a conflict. If this happens, the user is more likely to be aware of
> the change in the head branch. Choose the remote version by default, in
> order to make the user think about the change.

In principle, both decisions are equally right or wrong. However, suggesting
the remote version (i.e., "b") by default gives more incentive to think about
it because the file now changed with respect to the head version (i.e., "a"),
which the user started out with.

Clemens