Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: Support caching projects list

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:37:05 +0100

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, J.H. wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 12:41 +0100, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 02:44:42PM -0700, Jakub Narebski wrote:
>>>  
>>> This could be much simplified with perl-cache (perl-Cache-Cache).
>>> Unfortunately this is non-standard module, not distributed (yet?)
>>> with Perl.
>> 
>> I think somebody who actually needs this can be bothered to install a
>> CPAN perl module. This should probably not enabled by default anyway.
> 
> The people who need the caching are also likely those who are most
> averse to using things that don't either come with their distribution or
> aren't easily and readily available in something like an extras
> repository or a very well trusted contrib repository.  I can at least
> vouch for one large site that needs this that doesn't install things via
> cpan for a lot of different reasons.

Actually Cache::FileCache, which is part of CacheCache distribution,
should be available in contrib or even extras repository. I have
installed it as perl-Cache-Cache RPM (1.05-1.fc4.rf) on my Aurox 11.1
(which is old Fedora Core 4 based distribution), from Dries RPM
repository (part of FreshRPM now, IIRC).

The problem is that at least according to what documentation of other,
never CPAN modules says Cache::FileCache is slow, as it always serialize
using Storable (Storable should be part of perl distribution).

We can always install local copy alongside gitweb...

P.S. When searching CPAN for existing modules for caching and CGI
caching I have found Cache::Adaptive::ByLoad which does what
caching-gitweb does, and some solutions in newer caching interfaces,
either CHI or Cache which try to avoid thundering horde problem.

P.P.S. Does kernel.org use memcached, or some kind of web cache
(reverse proxy cache) like Varnish or Squid?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland