Subject: Re: auto gc again

From: Jens Axboe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:14:36 +0100

On Wed, Mar 19 2008, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Jens Axboe wrote:
> 
> > But you never answer the question on whether you really consider any 
> > form of autopacking or auto gc sane? Next time some other limit is added 
> > for auto gc, it'll be annoying once more.
> 
> The problem is: if people do not bother to "git gc" their repositories, 
> git operations get slow.  We just had enough of that, and decided to "git 
> gc" automatically for people who did not know about it, or were to lazy 
> and then complained about git for being slow.

Sorry I disagree, it's policy and that is usually a bad thing. In this
case it definitely is.

-- 
Jens Axboe