Subject: Re: auto gc again

From: Jens Axboe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:17:34 +0100

On Wed, Mar 19 2008, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Jens Axboe wrote:
> 
> > But freshly pulled repo, git auto gc is enabled. And that is my main
> > annoyance, I just don't think that type of policy should be in there.
> 
> Just do this once:
> 
> 	git config --global gc.auto 0
> 	git config --global gc.autopacklimit 0
> 
> and be happy.

You don't get it. I did gc.auto 0. And know some other limit crops up, I
have to do gc.autopacklimit 0. I have LOTS of git trees. On many
machines. It's just annoying, period.

> > Print the warning, include info on how to run git gc or even how to turn
> > it on automatically. But I'll bet you that most users will NOT want auto
> > gc. Ever.
> 
> Unfortunately, the harshest complaints about this whole issue were the 
> opposite.

I just don't buy that, I have more faith in users. If they come around
and complain it's slow, heck you told them it would be.

But it's not a big deal, I'll just carry a local patch that disables
this crap and forget the whole deal. I just worry that if this is where
git 'usability' is heading, it wont be a good thing in the long run.

-- 
Jens Axboe