Subject: Re: hg-to-git performance on big repos

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:27:58 -0400

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 04:34:22PM +0300, Fedor V. Sergeev wrote:
> Folks,
> 
> I'm trying to convert a relatively big Mercurial repo (70K commits)
> into Git using contrib/hg-to-git.  It initially goes fine but starts
> to slow down nearly exponentially as the number of converted
> changesets goes up.
> 
> git-fast-import seems to just hang around, while all the work (100% cpu)
> is spent in that python thing. It does not eat up memory, pstack looks
> fine, but after some 10K commits it just crawls.

I don't know if it will be better, but at the time when I needed to
convert e2fsprogs, I liked the results of hg-fast-export, found at:

        url = git://repo.or.cz/fast-export.git

You might hg-fast-import and see if it does any better for your repo.

Does it have a large number of branches or tags, by any chance?

     	       	     	       		   	 - Ted