Subject: Re: What I miss from Cogito...

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:14:11 -0400

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 02:40:30AM +0100, Björn Steinbrink wrote:
> > If we were going to separate the two commands out, I'd use the name
> > "git revert-file", because that's what people who are coming from bk
> > or hg are used to (where "revert" means to undo the local edits done
> > to a particular file, as opposed to the git meaning of undoing a
> > particular commit).
> 
> Nah, that would create confusion within git, because it does something
> totally different from git revert. And checkout can also checkout a
> whole tree, not just a file. So you would either need revert-tree as
> well... Or add more confusion, because revert-file "reverting" a tree is
> not quite intuitive.

That's why I said "git revert-file" as being different from "git
revert".  If you want to revert the entire tree in the sense of
"undoing local edits", most people today use "git reset --hard".

> Maybe it's just a misunderstanding on my side, but to me "checkout"
> means as much as "get me something out of the repo". 

If that's true, why is the one-line summary in the git-checkout man
page and in the git top-level man page read as follows?

       git-checkout - Checkout and switch to a branch

At the very least, will you admit that the summary in the man page is
perhaps just a wee bit misleading?

						- Ted