Subject: Re: [PATCH (BUGFIX)] gitweb: Fix "Use of uninitialized value" error in 'history' view

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:16:11 +0100

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:23:42PM +0100, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> > When asked for history of a file with no $hash ('h') parameter set,
> > and which file is not present in current branch ("HEAD" or given by
> > $hash_hase ('hb') parameter), but is present deeper in the full
> > history of a branch, gitweb would spew multiple of "Use of
> > uninitialized value" warnings, and some links would be missing.
> > This commit fixes this bug.
> > 
> > This bug occurs in the rare cases when "git log -- <path>" is empty
> > and "git log --full-history -- <path>" is not.  Gitweb tried to get
> > file type (it means if it is 'tree' or 'blob' or even 'commit', as
> > 'history' view is for single path which can be any of given types)
> > from the commit we start searching from, and not among found commits.
> 
> Do you know whether this fixes http://bugs.debian.org/469083 too?  I
> took a short look back then to fix it, but didn't manage it in a
> reasonable amount of time.

No it does not.

I have found what causes this bug.  When adding is_deleted() subroutine
I have forgot about old/legacy URL support[1], where gitweb doesn't have
enough information to get raw diff info, and gitweb has to generate
required info itself, i.e. the part in git_blobdiff(), around

	# old/legacy style URI
	if (!%diffinfo && # if new style URI failed
	    defined $hash && defined $hash_parent) {
		# fake git-diff-tree raw output
		$diffinfo{'from_mode'} = $diffinfo{'to_mode'} = "blob";
		$diffinfo{'from_id'} = $hash_parent;
		$diffinfo{'to_id'}   = $hash;

This code does not, and cannot, fill 'status_str' ('status' is faked).
I'd send in a bit patch fixing this bug (making is_deleted() more
robust).

Footnotes:
==========
[1] Note that example URL in http://bugs.debian.org/469083 does not
    have 'hpb' ($hash_parent_base) parameter set... and that is what
    causes this bug.

P.S. Gerrit, are you maintainer of git-core debian package?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland