Subject: Re: Friendly refspecs

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:38:50 +0300

Junio C Hamano wrote (2008-04-09 14:21 -0700):

> [By the way, please never redirect the response to your messages away from
> you with:
> 
>     Mail-Followup-To: Jeff King <[email-masked]>, Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>,
>             [email-masked]

Sorry, didn't even know such header existed. After consulting Mutt's
manual and some googling I think I understand it now. I'm a subscriber
to git list (and my Mutt knows that) and Mail-Followup-To told
everyone's MUAs to not include me in recipient list since I get
everything through the list. But this is configurable and generating
Mail-Followup-To should be now turned off.

> > Currently "git fetch <URL>" does not seem to do anything useful for
> > non-git-hackers. It seems to fetch objects but not create any
> > branches referring to them.
> 
> I'd suggest you to study:
> 
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/31351/focus=31634
> 
> Not everybody wants remote tracking.

Thanks, and I agree. Me neither always want remote tracking. Git's
current behaviour to only create/update FETCH_HEAD seems actually better
- now that I know what it does. I think it's a good idea to show "[new
branch] foo -> FETCH_HEAD" after fetching.