Subject: Re: Welcome to Git's GSoC 2008!

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:29:45 -0400

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I have found three another Git-related Google Summer of Code 2008
> projects by other organizations:
> 
>     Git plugin for Anjuta IDE  (GNOME)

This project was new to me; prior to your message I did not know
about it.  Thanks.

>     KDevelop DVCS support      (KDE)

I contacted this student/mentor pair and offered them our mailing
list address if they have questions.  Apparently the project is
trying to create some common DVCS abstractions but wants to use
Git as the first supported tool.

>     Git# implementation        (Mono Project)

I was talking to one of the two students on #git the other day.
Robin and I both think they are probably better off just taking jgit
and compiling it with ikvm so it runs on the Mono CLR.  From there
they can build their interface in C#.  Excluding the copyright header
in every source file, jgit is about 24,300 lines of code right now.
That's a lot to write in a summer, especially if you don't know
Git as well as say I do.

There is some concern from people who are close to the summer of code
program that two students working on the same project this summer may
result in one's success being dependent upon the other's success.
This sort of dependency is not permitted under the Summer of Code
rules, as it can be quite unfair to an otherwise successful student.

It will be interesting to see how everyone's project turns out at
the end of the summer.

-- 
Shawn.