Subject: Re: Welcome to Git's GSoC 2008!

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:28:08 +0200

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> I have found three another Git-related Google Summer of Code 2008
>> projects by other organizations:

By the way, it is a bit strange that Google Summer of Code 2008 pages 
are not fully indexed.  Currently searching for "git soc 2008" from 
"Search Google Code:" search form finds only organization info for Git 
Community, "Git plugin for Anjuta IDE" project, SoC2008Template 
(Note, this template is blatantly plagiarized from Git's SoC 
template ;-), and netconf project for Debian which uses Git repository 
but is not about git in any way; none of other were found.
 
>>     Git plugin for Anjuta IDE  (GNOME)
> 
> This project was new to me; prior to your message I did not know
> about it.  Thanks.

Have they contacted Git Community (IRC channel, mailing list, individual 
developers) for help, or did you contacted them, as with "KDevelop DVCS 
support"?

>>     KDevelop DVCS support      (KDE)

With these two projects, and egit/jgit for Eclipse, and also planned Git 
support in NetBeans IDE, there would be Git support in I think most 
used IDEs... What's left is something akin to AnkhSVN, i.e. support for 
Git in Visual Studio; perhaps Git# projects would help with it...
 
> I contacted this student/mentor pair and offered them our mailing
> list address if they have questions.  Apparently the project is
> trying to create some common DVCS abstractions but wants to use
> Git as the first supported tool.

I think it is a very good idea, because in my (certainly biased) opinion 
Git has best design and best model of DVCS.  It also has many 
interesting features: working with multiple branches in single 
repository, bisect to find where bug was introduced, blame/annotate 
working across code movement and possibly ignoring whitespace changes 
(although I guess that it would be nice to have interface to pickaxe 
search instead/in addition).

I wonder how much will be done; I guess it can borrow at least a bit 
from QGit (history viewer) and KGit (commit tool).
 
>>     Git# implementation        (Mono Project)
>
> There is some concern from people who are close to the summer of code
> program that two students working on the same project this summer may
> result in one's success being dependent upon the other's success.
> This sort of dependency is not permitted under the Summer of Code
> rules, as it can be quite unfair to an otherwise successful student.

I was wondering how this have passed GSoC projects screening...

> It will be interesting to see how everyone's project turns out at
> the end of the summer.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland