Subject: Re: [PATCH resend] make "git push" update origin and mirrors, "git push --mirror" update mirrors

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:40:49 -0400

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> In git being able to configure two different remotes and specifically
> pushing to the destination is very easy.  What is less easy is our
> reliance on a default named "origin" and the syntax we have for
> the remote configuration.  It is fairly simple, but new users do
> seem to struggle with it a bit.

Perhaps I should clarify this statement a bit.

I _hate_ the default remote.  One of the first things I wind up
doing is deleting it and creating a new one.  At least git-clone has
the -o flag to setup your own name, which then the tools (git-fetch
and git-push) cannot find.

Anytime I use git-fetch, git-pull or git-push I am always giving
it a remote name, or a remote name and a refspec.  So having these
tools default to 'origin' is of little to no value to me.

-- 
Shawn.