Subject: Re: Excruciatingly slow git-svn imports

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:03:55 -0700

Geert Bosch <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Before trying to brush up my Perl and propose patching fixes for this
> (I doubt the extra execve's take much time at all), I was wondering why
> we don't open a single stream to git-fast-import and have it do
> the heavy lifting. Are there fundamental issues with this?

Last I checked, fast-import doesn't allow rereading freshly imported
objects before that particular fast-import instance is finished running.

Since git-svn imports deltas from SVN instead of full files, so it often
needs to reread objects it imported in the same run to make use of
deltas.

However, Adam Roben's been working on some improvements to git-cat-file
which allow it to avoid many fork+exec calls.  The tests and some code
have some outstanding issues, but the code appears to work, and I'm sure
Adam would love to have you test it more for him :)

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/80240

-- 
Eric Wong