Subject: Re: Excruciatingly slow git-svn imports

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:11:22 -0700

Steven Grimm <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Geert Bosch wrote:
> 
> >I'm trying to import a 9.7G, 130K revision svn repository
> >but it seems to only import about 6K revisions per day on fast  
> >hardware
> >using a recent git (1.5.5).
> 
> I've found that git-svn gets slower as it runs. Try interrupting the  
> clone and running "git svn fetch" -- it should pick up where it left  
> off and will be MUCH faster if my experience is any indication. When I  
> clone the big svn repository at work I usually restart it every 1000  
> revisions or so and it finishes in a fraction of the time it takes if  
> I let it do everything in a single run.

That's really strange to hear...  The git-svn process itself does not
store much state other than the current revision and the log information
for the next 100 or so revisions it needs to import.

Are you packing the repository?  Which SVN protocol are you using?  Does
memory usage of git-svn stay stable throughout the run?

-- 
Eric Wong