Subject: Re: [updated PATCH] Same default as cvsimport when using --use-log-author

From: "Stephen R. van den Berg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:13:56 +0200

Eric Wong wrote:
>Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> "Stephen R. van den Berg" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> > git-svn supports an experimental option --use-log-author which currently
>> > results in:

>> > Author: foobaruser <unknown>

>> I have a question about this.  Is the "<unknown> coming from...

I have to correct myself here.  What happens is that if in the commit
message there is no From: or Signed-off-by: to be found to parse, that
results in an empty $name_field, and causes $email to stay undefined,
which eventually results in the same silly generated UUID-domain I'm
trying to get rid of.

So it's not triggering the 'unknown' above.

>> I would think not -- if that is the case, the codepath you added as a fix
>> would not trigger.  Which means in some other cases, the 'unknown' we see
>> above in the context also still happens.  Is it a good thing?  Maybe we
>> would also want to make it consistently do "somebody <somebody>" instead,
>> by doing...

>I don't think Stephen's patch ever gets triggered, either.

Well, it is triggered, but rather because $name_field is empty, and
consequently $email is never set.

>$email does appear to get set correctly for the first two elsifs cases
>here in the existing code:

>So I propose the following one-line change instead of Stephen's:

>diff --git a/git-svn.perl b/git-svn.perl
>@@ -2432,7 +2432,7 @@ sub make_log_entry {
>-			($name, $email) = ($name_field, 'unknown');
>+			($name, $email) = ($name_field, $name_field);

That is a good change (IMO), but I still need my patch (or something
similar) to cover the undefined $name_field case.  Proposed new patch
follows.
-- 
Sincerely,                                                          [email-masked]
           Stephen R. van den Berg.

"There's a lot to be said for not saying a lot."