Subject: Re: [PATCH] --color-words: Make the word characters configurable

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 17:43:37 +0300

Johannes Schindelin wrote (2008-05-03 15:03 +0100):

> Now, you can specify which characters are to be interpreted as word
> characters with "--color-words=A-Za-z", or by setting the config
> variable diff.wordCharacters.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
> ---
> 
> 	I would have preferred an approach like this.

Unfortunately this does not work at all with other than Ascii
characters. It makes --color-words completely unusable for anything
other than Ascii text. Sorry.

Ping Yin's version has also the problem that UTF-8 multibyte characters
U+0080..U+10FFFF don't work in diff.nonwordchars. Fortunately the most
important word delimiters are in U+0000..U+007F (=Ascii) area so Ping's
version is perfectly usable with Unicode text. (Even the old
--color-words behaviour with only SPACE as non-word char was perfectly
usable with Unicode text.) I, too, would like to see Ping's patch series
merged in.