Subject: Re: merge renamed files/directories?

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:47:09 -0400

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 05:29:12PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> Maybe somebody bothers to implement some directory rename heuristic some 
> day. Quite frankly, I personally cannot care less. It really is mental 
> masturbation, and has absolutely no relevance for any real-world problem.
> 

Actually, the directory rename hueristic *does* have relevance in at
least some real-world cases.  For example, MySQL has plugin
directories, and occasionally the plugins get renamed, for whatever
reason.  If a plugin gets renamed, so does its directory, and if the
rename operation happens in an experimental (or devel) branch, but
then for whatever reason, a new file is created in the devel (or
maint) branch, without the directory rename hueristic, when the
changeset is pulled into the experimental (or devel) branch, the file
will be created in the wrong directory.

So it may be rare, but this kind of thing does happen in the real
world.

							- Ted