Subject: Re: git-checkout sometimes silently fails

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 17:43:48 -0700

On Tue, 06 May 2008 17:19:01 -0700 Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Andrew Morton <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > y:/usr/src/git26> git-branch -av | grep '^\*'
> > * master               5717922 Merge branch 'for_linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jwessel/linux-2.6-kgdb
> > y:/usr/src/git26> git-checkout linux-next    
> > Switched to branch "linux-next"
> > y:/usr/src/git26> git-branch -av | grep '^\*'
> > * linux-next           5717922 Merge branch 'for_linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jwessel/linux-2.6-kgdb
> 
> So your two local branches 'master' and 'linux-next' both point at the
> same commit, 5717922.
> 
> "git checkout <branchname>" is to check out the local branch name.  You
> expect "git checkout master" and then "git checkout linux-next" to check
> out two different commits because linux-next _should_ have been updated to
> the latest from sfr repository.  But it appears to me that that is not the
> case.

I did a git-fetch of linux-next yesterday.

> Perhaps "git fetch linux-next" hasn't been run, before "git checkout" was
> attempted?

I reran `git-fetch linux-next' and that downlaoded a heap of stuff (perhaps
necause linux-next rebases every time?) and after this, `git-checkout
linux-next' gives me what I expect.

But how come I couldn't check out yesterday's linux-next?