Subject: Re: [RFC] Use cases for 'git statistics'

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:19:20 +0200

On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:19, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> One comment: did you take a look at 'owners.sh' script posted some
>> time ago by (IIRC) spearce to check who "owns" egit/jgit and relevant
>> git code?  This is one interesting, and useful, statistics.

First I have to admit that I haven't read your email carefully.
One note: why not provide HTML version in addition to PDF?

> Ah, yes, I did see it, and something similar to that I intend to
> include. I reckon his script would fall under the "Finding a
> Contributor that is active in a specific bit of content" use case.

I don't agree.

This is "Finding the owner of the code" (i.e. something like
non-existent 'git blame --summary') with the goal of "Find who
needs to be contact about changing (or adding) license / relicensing".

This is similar, but not exactly the same as "Find maintainer of given
subsystem", or "Who is responsible for this part of code".

A few use cases I thought about (perhaps repeating what you have wrote,
see note above):

* Maintainer: how close should I examine provided patch?
* Contributor: who is maintainer of the code / whom should I contact
  and send copy of a patch?
* Bug-fixer: who is responsible about this part of code? Who might have
  introduced the bug?
* Contributor: what happened with my code?
* Searching where to contribute: what are oldest part of code dealing
  with error messages (find ancient code)?

HTH
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland