Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-add--interactive: manual hunk editing mode

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:21:44 +0200

Jeff King wrote:
> But I find the interface a bit clunky. I would much rather get dumped in
> my favorite editor, which happens to be quite fast at removing a subset
> of lines. After editing, any lines remaining would be staged.
> 
> We would have to figure out what happens if lines are added or edited,
> of course. It may be right to signal an error, or maybe there is some
> other useful functionality that can come of that. I think other systems
> have some diff-editing functionality (IIRC, cogito did). It is probably
> worth looking at that for ideas.

We could just see if the hunk applies to the unchanged index (still
assuming we're inside 'add -p'), and if not, reject the edit.

Unfortunately git-apply does not seem to have a --dry-run option.
(Even stranger, when given the option --dry-run it tries to open a
patch of that name.)  What is the recommended way to do such things?
Make a backup copy of the index and apply --cached anyway?

- Thomas

-- 
Thomas Rast
[email-masked]