Subject: Re: Gitweb caching: Google Summer of Code project

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:38:22 +0200

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 05:27:59PM +0200, Lea Wiemann wrote:
> Petr Baudis wrote:
>> I wonder what oldest Perl versions do we aim to support?
>
> I'm thinking about 5.8 or 5.10.  Looking at Debian, Perl 5.10 is not in 
> stable (etch), but it's in lenny, which is planned to become stable in 
> Sept. 08.  So by the time the updated Gitweb/Git.pm has stabilized (and 
> shows up as a package in Debian), Perl 5.10 will definitely be available 
> widely enough.

Wow, and here I was wondering if requiring at least 5.6 was not too
liberal. ;-) I believe 5.8 is the newest possible candidate though, it
is still too widespread; e.g. Debian-wise, many servers run on Etch and
are going to stay there even for quite some time after Lenny gets
released. Heck, I still have accounts on plenty of Sarge machines. ;-)
(Sarge seems to have Perl-5.8.4.)

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.	-- J. W. von Goethe