Subject: Re: [PATCH] perl/Git.pm: add parse_rev method

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 23:49:28 +0200

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 02:25:58PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Perhaps, but except for the use of nonstandard try...catch.  I have been
> wondering if we can move away from it, with the goal of eventually getting
> rid of the construct altogether.

It's consistent with the rest of the code; we may want to remove it,
but we should either do it everywhere or not at all and I think it's
an issue independent on this patch.

> Didn't we hear from Randal that the construct is known to be leaky?

I agree that in hindsight, using this construct was probably not the
best idea, and I'm in principle not against removing it as long as there
is no functionality lost - the ability to let the program just fail
if I don't care in my code, or catch specifically for nonzero exit codes
and let the program fail in other cases, is very useful and I do use it
in some of my code; I would hate to lose this flexibility.

If there is an alternative (perhaps even slightly more clumsy) way to
solve this, I have no problem with switching over; however, I don't have
much time or interest to research this myself. If Lea wants to figure
something out, she (*) is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

(*) Lea, I hope I figured this out right - sorry if not. :-)

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.	-- J. W. von Goethe