Subject: Re: [BUG] git-branch -m cannot rename remote branches

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:06:50 +0200

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2008, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> 
> > I cannot rename remote branch (possibly packed, and possibly with
> > reflog) using "git branch"
> 
> That is very much by design; a next fetch would get them with their 
> current name anyway.  A "remote prune" should get rid of any stale 
> branches.
> 
> So yes, "branch -m" with remote branches does not make sense.

What I really wanted was "git remote rename <old-name> <new-name>",
together with renaming branches and moving reflogs.  I can do first
part by editing config file ("git remote rename"/"git remote mv"
probably would want to assume that user wants to move branches if
they follow remotes/<old-name>/* calling convention; ask user if it
is not the case?).  I thought that I could use "git branch -m" for
the other... I was left with editing packed-refs file (BTW. is leaving
empty directory 'xx' when packing 'xx/name' branch by design?) and
moving reflog by hand.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland