Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] remote show: fix the -n option

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:19:13 -0400

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> At least I care enough to point out that I think you are wrong in this
> case.  "show -n" in the scripted version was never about "dry-run" but
> was about "no-query".
...
> I am CC'ing Shawn who authored 859607d (Teach 'git remote' how to cleanup
> stale tracking branches., 2007-02-02) to give him a chance to point out
> why I am wrong in saying "prune -n" is nonsense.  Maybe there is a valid
> use case for that option, even though I do not see one.

I agree with you Junio.  "prune -n" is nonsense.  You cannot know
what to remove locally that the remote no longer advertises without
querying the remote.

So "prune -n" is nonsense and should issue an error.  "prune --dry-run"
is different and means "query, show what you would delete, but don't
actually delete".

Likewise "show --dry-run" is nonsense.  What does it mean to show
what would show without showing it?  Just show it.   :)

-- 
Shawn.