Subject: [PATCH] fast-export: Correctly generate initial commits with no parents

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:38:55 -0400

If we are exporting a commit which has no parents we may be doing
it to a branch that already exists, causing fast-import to assume
the branch's current revision should be the sole parent of the
new commit.  This can cause `git fast-export | git fast-import`
to produce an incorrect graph for:

   A-------M----o------o  refs/heads/master
          /
       B-+

In this graph A and B are initial commits (no parents) but if A was
output first to refs/heads/master and then B is output fast-import
would assume the graph was this instead:

   A-------M----o------o  refs/heads/master
    \     /
     +-B-+

Which would cause B, M, and all later commits to have a different
SHA-1, and obviously be quite a different graph.

Sending a reset command prior to B informs fast-import to clear
the implied parent of A, allowing B to remain an initial commit.

Reported-by: Ben Lynn <[email-masked]>
Deemed-obviously-correct-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]>
---
 builtin-fast-export.c |    2 ++
 1 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

diff --git a/builtin-fast-export.c b/builtin-fast-export.c
index 1dfc01e..d0a462f 100644
--- a/builtin-fast-export.c
+++ b/builtin-fast-export.c
@@ -188,6 +188,8 @@ static void handle_commit(struct commit *commit, struct rev_info *rev)
 	mark_object(&commit->object);
 	if (!is_encoding_utf8(encoding))
 		reencoded = reencode_string(message, "UTF-8", encoding);
+	if (!commit->parents)
+		printf("reset %s\n", (const char*)commit->util);
 	printf("commit %s\nmark :%d\n%.*s\n%.*s\ndata %u\n%s",
 	       (const char *)commit->util, last_idnum,
 	       (int)(author_end - author), author,
-- 
1.5.6.rc2.165.g2a0cc