Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: Note about the meaning of "clone"

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:39:17 +0200

Robin Rosenberg wrote:
>
> Clarify that a clone is not an exact copy.

> +*NOTE*: Although this command is called clone, the clone is not identical
> +in all respects. Local branches in the repository being cloned
> +becomes remote tracking branches in the clone and remote tracking
> +branches are not cloned at all. For security reasone the config sections
> +and triggers are not cloned either.

One nitpick, one comment, one historical comment.

Nitpick: Actually biological clone is usually not identical in
phenotype, and we know now that due to different gene expression
it can have different genotype as well. ;-)

COMMENT: when you do "git clone --bare" it mirrors local (regular)
branches in 1:1 correspondence; but it still doesn't clone anything
outside refs/heads/ and refs/remotes (and HEAD).

Historical comment: git-clone used to do 1:1 mapping even for non-bare
clone, with exception of <current branch> -> origin mapping, before
behavior provided by --use-separate-remotes was made default (thanks
Carl!).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland