Subject: Re: git-rerere observations and feature suggestions

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 22:46:30 +0200

* Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > right now that is simply not possible technically - it's even very 
> > hard to share a .git/rr-cache with a co-maintainer whom i can trust 
> > with my index file. (which is an otherwise unsafe private binary 
> > cache that i'd not put into a public repository as it could in 
> > theory contain lots of unrelated data and is not endian-safe, etc.)
> 
> Where did you get the idea that .git/index is involved in any way, I 
> wonder...

so it's only the rr-cache metadata that is involved? We had a few cases 
where git-rerere sessions were not repeatable by copying the 
.git/rr-cache, so i just assumed that there's some extra metadata in the 
index file. When that happened i took a look at git/builtin-rerere.c:

 static int find_conflict(struct path_list *conflict)
 {
        int i;
        if (read_cache() < 0)
                return error("Could not read index");

and (mistakenly) assumed that git-rerere depends on having something in 
the index file - but on a second look it just checks out the conflicting 
file(s) from the index file, right?

	Ingo