Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] gitweb: Extend project_index file format by project description

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:09:07 +0200

Lea Wiemann wrote:
> Jakub Narebski wrote:
>> 
>> The goal is to first, improve performance; and second, to be possible
>> to have single place for all info (well, amost all info) needed to
>> generate projects list.
> 
> I'm not sure if I understand your objective correctly.  If this is 
> exclusively about performance, may I suggest you wait with this till I 
> have implemented caching?  Regenerating the project list might end up 
> being fast enough that it won't matter at all; so no reason to 
> complicate the code.
> 
> If it's about the convenience of maintaining project descriptions in a 
> central place, sure, that's fine.

It is about both, but I think mainly about convenience of maintaining 
(having) all static data about project in one place (well, almost all: 
there is README.html, but it is not visible in projects list page).

What we gain in performance generating projects list (when caching is 
disabled for some reason, like limited quota or/and not installed 
memcached), we might lose when generating project pages (with project 
description).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland