Subject: how to rewalk the commit list after rename detection

From: Don Zickus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:38:14 -0400

I am trying to find a way to handle a situation where I am looking for a
change in a particular file, but the filename is old and has since been
renamed.

Processing the commit list internally (using init_revisions,
setup_revisions, get_revision), I can easily find the rename of the file,
but that is usually the start of the walk for that file (as it was just
deleted for the rename).  I do not know how to re-walk the commits list
armed with the new file name.

I tried rerunning the same commands as above (init_revisions,
setup_revisions, get_revision) but that commit list is empty for some
reason (I assume the UNINTERESTING flag is never un-set??).

For example, if I have a backported patch for the upstream kernel in say
the arch/i386 directory.  I want to check to see if it is upstream.  I
wouldn't be able to do that because arch/i386 was renamed to arch/x86.
Unless of course the patch matches identically upstream (in which case
git-cherry works fine), but that isn't always the case (usually it is a
combination of a couple of patches).

Anyone have some thoughts if this is possible?

Cheers,
Don