Subject: Re: An alternate model for preparing partial commits

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:17:24 -0400

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 08:29:15PM -0000, David Jeske wrote:
> git has all the concepts I want except one. However, it makes the process
> pretty manual. Here is an idea about automating it. I'll talk about that one
> new concept at the bottom.
> 
> I think of this as reorder/merge/split...
> 
> reorder: Picture that a list of commits on this branch opens in an
> editor. You are free to rearrange the lines in any order you want,
> but you have to keep all the lines. When you are done reordering the
> lines, the tool creates a new topic branch and applies the changes
> (probably with cherrypick) to the new topic branch. If there are no
> conflicts, you're done.....

Read the man page for for "git rebase --interactive".  I think you
will find that it handles reording and merging (its called squashing)
already.

Splitting patches is harder to do and probably is one of the things
you have to do manually.

						- Ted