Subject: [StGit PATCH 0/2] push optimizations

From: Karl Hasselström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 08:12:06 +0200

Here's the git-apply call you asked for. You were right: it was a huge
speed-up. I set up a benchmark to test it:

  * 32 directories, each containing 32 subdirectories, each containing
    32 small (and different) files.

  * A series of 250 patches that each add a line to one of the files.

  * An "upstream" that adds a line first in every file.

  * I set all this up with a python script feeding fast-import. A huge
    time-saver!

  * Pop patches, git-reset to upstream, then goto top patch. This
    makes sure that we use the new infrastructure to push, and that we
    get one file-level conflict in each patch.

Before the first patch, the "goto" command took 4:27 minutes,
wall-clock time. After the first patch, it took 1:31. After the
second, 0:48; one second or so slower than the stable branch (which
does not have a patch stack log).

Available in kha/experimental.

---

Karl Hasselström (2):
      Reuse the same temp index in a transaction
      Do simple in-index merge with diff+apply instead of read-tree

 stgit/lib/git.py         |   52 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------
 stgit/lib/transaction.py |   12 ++++++++++-
 2 files changed, 46 insertions(+), 18 deletions(-)

-- 
Karl Hasselström, [email-masked]
      www.treskal.com/kalle